How Can I Keep Well This Cold and Flu Season?
Too busy to get sick this winter? You’ve probably got far better things to do than lie around feeling like death watching the pile of tissues next to you grow. Here’s a few immune tips to help you stay well this winter.
5 Cool Cold and Flu Facts
So now we’ve got you thinking about cold and flu’, how can you help support your immune function so you’re less likely to succumb to colds? It all starts with a good defence – try this three hit combo:
- Be PROactive with PRObiotics
Your digestive system contains 70% of your immune system, so supporting healthy immunity really does start in the gut. A trial of the strains in Inner Health Immune Booster for Adults showed that they may be effective at defending against the common cold and reducing the chance of catching another cold during winter. Taking just 1 capsule a day for 12 weeks may help boost immune function, so you can fight winter colds more easily.
- Get Some Immune Defence
The herbs Andrographis, Echinacea and Siberian ginseng have been used by multiple cultures for centuries to keep the immune system healthy throughout winter. Ethical Nutrients Immune Defence brings these ingredients together and just 1 tablet daily will help support a healthy immune system. If you don’t have time to get sick, Immune Defence may provide the immune support to help you stay well this winter.
- Give Your Immune System a C-Up
For a lot of people, vitamin C is the go-to for immune system support - and for very good reason! Vitamin C is an essential nutrient for optimal immune function and may help you to fight off the latest cold or flu. Ethical Nutrients Extra C Zingles combines vitamin C with another immune-essential (Zinc) to help keep your immune system firing. With chewable tablets in two delicious flavours, taking them is easy – they even leave a tingle on your tongue!
Getting Sick Often? It may be Zinc related
Zinc is an essential mineral for good health and plays an important role in keeping your immune system strong. Your local Pharmacist will be able to assist with a Zinc test to check your levels.
If you do find you have low zinc levels, Ethical Nutrients MEGAZORB Mega Zinc 40mg powder provides an effective way to quickly replenish your zinc levels. This highly concentrated, raspberry or orange flavoured zinc drink may also be used to assist a normal healthy immune system.
Nourishing Chicken Soup - Serves: 4
- 10 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon dried turmeric powder
- 500 g free range/organic chicken breast, cut into strips
- 4 cups diced mixed vegetables (e.g. onions, carrot, celery, parsnips, broccoli etc.)
- 1 litre organic chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 litre fresh water
- 2 bunches chopped fresh coriander
- ¼ cup (60 ml) mirin or rice wine (optional)
- 3 tablespoons organic tamari/soy sauce
- Combine the garlic, ginger, turmeric, chicken, vegetables, stock and water into a large pot.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes over a low heat until chicken is cooked through and flavours have infused into the stock.
- Add tamari, mirin and coriander just before serving. Enjoy in a large bowl.
References available upon request.