Healthy, Happy Kids Means Healthy, Happy Parents
Most parents will agree that keeping their children happy and healthy is essential if they want to be happy and healthy themselves. Although there is no denying that raising healthy kids is a big job, there are less troublesome steps you can take to encourage your children to be the healthiest possible.
Increasing Immunity Means Decreasing Sick Days
At school and childcare, kids are frequently exposed to a host of bacteria and viruses which render them more susceptible to infection. This can make keeping them healthy seem like an impossible task. While you can’t protect your kids from bacteria and viruses, you can try and prevent them from getting sick in the first place. Whether you have a toddler or a teen, the start of the school year is the perfect time to boost your children’s immunity, preventing them from falling victim to frequent infections and helping to keep them strong and healthy throughout the year.
Fuelling Up Your Immune Soldiers
The immune system is like the body’s very own department of defence, made up of an army of cells with the sole responsibility of protecting the body against invasion by bacteria, viruses or other nasty bugs that cause illness. Just like soldiers within the defence force, we have to keep these cells well-nourished so they can function at their best and effectively fight off infection. Ensuring good overall nutritional status is essential for a healthy body, however, zinc and vitamin C are two nutrients which can be particularly useful for keeping your children’s inner army functioning at its best. Ethical Nutrients Zinc Fix is a great tasting powder available in orange and raspberry flavours, designed for rapid zinc and vitamin C replenishment. By supplementing with zinc and vitamin C, your children can support their cellular immune status, thereby reducing the likelihood of illness and needing time off school. If they do fall prey to illness, Ethical Nutrients Zinc Fix can provide symptomatic relief from minor respiratory infections such as the common cold.
Good Bugs Can Help Keep the Bad Bugs Away
A large proportion of the immune system lives in and around the gastrointestinal tract. For this reason, healthy gut function is required for optimal immunity. Ensuring your children have good levels of probiotics or, “friendly” bacteria, is essential for building strong immune systems. The beneficial balance of “good bugs” in the gut is easily upset by many factors including some medications, high sugar diets and stress, which lead to lowered immune function and an increased risk of infection. A probiotic supplement such as Inner Health for Kids can be an easy way to boost the function and numbers of beneficial bacteria in the gut, improving gut function and immunity.
Every Day Tips for Enhanced Immunity
Whilst supplementing to enhance immunity is often necessary, there are some day-to-day dietary and lifestyle principles that support your children’s immune system as well as their overall health and wellbeing:
- Ensure your children eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables each day, to provide essential nutrients, phytochemicals and antioxidants which can help to keep their immune defences strong.
- Limit your children’s intake of processed foods and sugary sweets as they have very little nutritional value and can lead to suppressed immune function.
- Regular protein intake from foods such as lean red meat, poultry, fish and eggs should be encouraged to keep their immune soldiers strong.
- Promote regular physical activity. Moderate, consistent exercise has been shown to boost immune system response and provide substantial immune benefits in the long-term.
- Adequate rest and relaxation is essential for immune system function but also has added benefits of supporting memory and concentration as well as minimising stress.
- Help your kids to stay hydrated by ensuring they drink plenty of water.
Make Life Easier By Keeping Your Child Healthy
Healthy kids tend to be happier, have improved behaviour, require less time off school and cause less disruption to the smooth running of family life. Keeping your kids healthy at school may seem like an impossible task, but can be easily achieved by supplementing with key nutrients, friendly bacteria and by following a healthy diet. Help your kids thrive, play and do their best at school in 2011!